Being well-rested provides both physical and mental benefits. Unfortunately, a lot of today’s teenagers don’t get enough sleep.
Life tends to be extremely busy for most people. This is especially true for teenagers. You may find yourself constantly feeling stressed out and rushing to get everything done. Unfortunately, this can keep you from getting enough sleep at night, which can eventually cause problems with your health.
Between school, extracurricular activities, and hanging out with friends, everyday life can get quite busy. Despite that, it is important to set aside time for self-care. Most people have trouble sleeping every so often. If poor sleep quality becomes a habit, however, it may start to take a toll on your physical health and your mental well-being.
What Are The Advantages Of Getting Enough Sleep?
Sleeping enough is an important part of maintaining your health. When you are asleep, your body has a chance to restore balance by releasing essential hormones. It also processes and eliminates toxins. Sleep also:
– Promotes faster healing after an illness or injury
– Supports faster growth and development
– Controls your metabolism and hunger
– Provides time for critical memory-related tasks to be completed
– Supports mental health, including helping to combat anxiety
Common Sleeping Problems For Teens
Sleeping problems in teenagers can include having trouble falling asleep or waking up frequently during the night. Some of the most common causes of sleep issues include:
– Stress and anxiety
– Too little downtime
– Problems with family members or friends
– Using electronic devices like video games, smartphones, or televisions too late at night
– Pain or illness
– Some types of medication
– Scary dreams
– Using substances like alcohol or drugs
– Mental health problems
– Consuming caffeine too late in the day
Sleep issues are common and affect everyone at one point or another. If you have been having trouble sleeping for a long time, however, consulting a doctor is usually a good idea. Most sleep issues can be resolved with professional help.
Tips To Get Better Sleep
Most people naturally have difficulty sleeping at some point in their lives. If you have been having sleep problems, some steps you can take to start getting better rest include the following:
– Get on a regular schedule in terms of when you go to bed and when you wake up each day. Maintain this schedule every day of the week, including on the weekend.
– Exercise each day, making sure to complete your workout several hours before bed. This will give your body a chance to relax before you go to sleep.
– Consume any caffeinated foods or beverages early in the day, before the afternoon rolls around.
– Do something calming before bed, whether that means taking a bath or listening to relaxing music. Yoga, meditation, and gentle stretching can also be beneficial when it comes to combating stress.
– Try not to take daytime naps since they may make it more difficult to sleep at night.
– Avoid laying in bed tossing and turning. If you have been trying to sleep for 20 minutes or longer, get up and spend a little time doing something relaxing. Once you start to feel drowsy, try going back to bed.
-Get a comfortable mattress from a good Mattress Firm, make sure that you are comfortable and supported when you lie down. It will go a long way to helping you get great quality sleep.
– Create a sleep journal. Write down any things you are worried about before bed to get them out of your mind so that you can sleep.
– Shut off electronic devices with screens like tablets, videogame consoles, or TVs several hours before bed. Even though these activities may seem relaxing, they can interfere with your ability to sleep.
– Don’t drink too many liquids before bed. Otherwise, you may have to wake up frequently during the night to use the bathroom.
How Can You Create A Better Environment For Sleep?
Ideally, the environment where you sleep should be cool, quiet, and dark. When you are in the space, you should feel safe and relaxed. Consider putting photographs of people you love on the nightstand next to your bed to make your room feel more comfortable.